We are going to beat a dead horse…
Don’t be the CF Open Scrooge… Sign up @ games.crossfit.com AND ENTER YOUR SCORES EACH WEEK!
A contrast shower is simple. All you do is alternate between hot and cold water. The hot water dilates your blood vessels and increases blood circulation, and the cold water constricts your blood vessels and decreases blood flow.
Contrast showers can decrease DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) by reducing the amount of lactic acid in the blood and inflammation.
They boost your immune system, detoxify your body, and make your organs work better.
Speeds up metabolism which can help burn fat.
How to take a recovery-boosting contrast shower
- Start with a hot shower (but not too hot; it should not burn) for 2 to 3 minutes
- Slowly turn down the water temperature from hot to cold
- Put on your big girl panties (not literally, just an expression)
- Take a cold shower for 1 minute. This is a good time to soap up and wash off to kill some time. Ensure that your arm pits, back, stomach, head, and legs ALL get cold.
- Repeat the hot and cold cycle for 5 to 10 minutes for optimal recovery
- End on cold.
- Embrace the day like a superhuman you will soon become.